At the recent TCEA 2018 Convention & Exposition, attendees were able to take part in Solution Circles, small groups gathered around a table to share resources, questions, and answers on a given topic. There was no presenter; instead, each person taking part shared what he/she had to offer. Common problems were addressed and solutions were proposed.
Amazing resources were shared by those who participated, and it seems like a crime not to provide those ideas and solutions to others who were not able to attend this year’s convention. So I will be writing a series of blogs that offer tips and tools from each topic. For today, here are the ones from primary teachers in grades PreK-2.
What Works for PreK-2
- Chrome extensions such as Speak It, BeeLine Reader,and Read Aloud to help with listening, tracking, and reading
- The Chrome extension Print Friendly & PDF to remove the ads from a website and then convert it into a PDF for reading
- Breakouts with simple objects and challenges
- Using the AR app Quiver to design flags about themselves or other topics of study
- Augmented reality children’s books and apps
- Access to easy robots such as Ozobot
- Learning basics with PlayOsmo on the iPad
- Powerful STEM activities from the STEM Laboratory
- Digital citizenship activities for K-2 from Common Sense Media
Participants in this Solution Circle also reminded us that research shows that young students learn more when they work in pairs. That led to a great discussion about how best to set up learning centers/stations for paired work. Teaching these young students to share and then being able to know that each was doing his/her part was also discussed.
Be sure to check back for our next Solution Circles when we share resources on other topics!